ADVERTISEMENT

Burton Albion Striker Update Will Give Portsmouth Encouragement

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Pocket
WhatsApp

Portsmouth-linked striker Tyrese Shade is expected to leave Burton Albion before the end of the transfer window, manager Gary Bowyer has confirmed.

The 26-year-old has become hot property over the past few weeks after excelling in his first season in League One with the Brewers. He arrived at the Staffordshire-based side last summer from non-league outfit Eastleigh on a two-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

An excellent first half of the campaign, which included a hat trick in a 3-1 FA Cup win over Brackley in December, saw him become the subject of interest from elsewhere in the winter transfer window. It was confirmed in February that the club had rejected an offer of over £1 million as they focussed their efforts on remaining in the third tier.

That decision proved to be the right one, with important goals in victories over Rotherham United, Stockport County and Bradford City contributing to Burton’s survival.

ADVERTISEMENT

Portsmouth Keen But Face Competition From Division Rivals

It has been a busy window for Portsmouth so far, with no fewer than nine players arriving through the door. This does include strikers Marko Milovanovic and Eion Kenny, although the latter is likely to have been brought in with the future in mind.

An ankle injury to Thomas Waddingham may have heightened the need for more reinforcements, and it is believed that Shade is one player they are keen on. However, Charlton Athletic are also amongst his admirers, whilst Lincoln City are said to have had multiple bids rejected in the past few weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT

The Imps are said to have seen offers of £2 million knocked back, but their attentions may have shifted following the loan moves of Mason Melia and Tanto Olaofe. They are also expected to clinch the big-money signing of Danish striker Mikkel Ladefoged before the end of the month.

Gary Bowyer Issues Shade Update

With the interest in the former Swindon Town player ramping up, Burton boss Gary Bowyer issued an update on the situation. Speaking to BBC Radio Derby, he said:

“No. No I wouldn’t have thought so (expect Shade to remain at the club).

“If you look at the strikers in League One (that have left this summer), (Lorent) Tolaj gone, (Dom) Ballard gone and there have been others.

ADVERTISEMENT

“So there’s not many top, top strikers left (in League One) and he’s a top, top striker in my opinion, who has got the ability to go higher.

“I look forward to receiving several bids in the next three weeks or so.

“We’re going to have to replace him and still bring in another one, maybe two in as well in that position. There’s a lot of work to do.”

Shade was absent from the squad for both of Burton’s fixtures so far. This includes a 2-1 defeat against Blackburn Rovers in the Carabao Cup, before their 1-1 draw with Stevenage in their League One opener on Saturday.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn
Pinterest
Pocket
WhatsApp

Leave a Reply

Headline

Never Miss A Story

Get our Weekly recap with the latest news, articles and resources.

Hot daily news right into your inbox.

Headline

Never Miss A Story

Get our Weekly recap with the latest news, articles and resources.
Cookie policy
We use our own and third party cookies to allow us to understand how the site is used and to support our marketing campaigns.

Hot daily news right into your inbox.

Cookie policy
We use our own and third party cookies to allow us to understand how the site is used and to support our marketing campaigns.

Headline

Never Miss A Story

Get our Weekly recap with the latest news, articles and resources.